Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Portsmouth

Everyone calls it Portsmouth but technically it is Prince Rupert Bay.
As I motored up the west coast I was visited by a pod of bottle nose dolphins, of course as fate would have it as I grabbed my I phone to take pictures the memory was full so I spent a few minutes deleting a things, meanwhile the dolphins are jumping and playing in my bow wave.  If you look real hard you can see a dolphin just off the bow as that was the only parting shot I was able to get. Gerome my new boat boy is from Cobra services and is also a tour guide and like most grew up here.  I took a tour with him up the Indian River.  The river is a protected marine park and only allows rowing no motors.  Pirates of the Caribbean one and two had parts of them filmed here.  All kinds of birds, fish, crabs and other wild life depend on the river.  The picture of the strange trees is of a species called the blood tree in which the sap is red.  It was a wonderful trip along with meeting some new sailors from Germany. I finished off the evening at Blue Bay restaurant and met an old salt named Vern. Vern has been sailing all his life and is now 88 years young and is still out here.  I snapped a sunset that was just incredible and bummed a dingy ride back to the Raindancer as I was too lazy to launch my own.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment