Saturday, February 23, 2013

In St Lucia at Soufiere and the Pitons.  They are amazing and beautiful.  Right now I am sitting on a mooring I got from Peanut the boat boy, it's his uncles and it's right off town.  I have my wifi antenna taped to an oar so I can hack this signal. To tired to post much but it was rough going, being in a Kenmore washer on heavy duty load would have been a relief.  Made 35 miles in 12 hours for an average speed of 2.9 and sometimes that was zero as the current and huge waves that were meeting  north swell so it really didn't matter what heading you were on you were in the washer going every which way, some waves were straight up 12 feet . Some lockers came open and dumped their contents all over the boat and doors flew open and were slamming, all I could do was hang on. All is well now and I am going to a much needed shower and bed....





One would think after my last update in Soufriere that was It,  but alas was not to be.  First of all peanut met me in the “bang” between the pitons first as this was the closest place for me to moor and being tired thought it was a good idea.  There were no moorings in the bang so Peanut said go to Soufriere he had one there for me.  On the way in peanut was nowhere to be found so two other boat boys offered a park mooring but peanut came racing over and said that he had a better one, so I went with peanut as I said earlier.   The problem with this is the other boys said I owed them to which I replied you didn’t do anything except offer so no get lost while they were hanging on the Raindancer and not leaving. I finally got an oar and threatened to whack them if they did not get off.  This where things got crazy as they were pissed so they tied Peanut’s dinghy to their boat and tried to drag him away while we were conducting business, words I could not understand were exchanged and they left after casting off Peanut.  Well after my shower and reading for a few minutes I checked things only find out I was on a collision course with a site seeing vessel! I had ask Peanut if it was to close,  his response of “no mon it’s all good” just didn’t have much meaning as I fended off the props from spearing the Raindancer.  So here I was tired and dark and forced to leave my 30 dollar US mooring %%$#$.  So I left and started looking for another mooring as there is no anchoring in this harbor.  And here comes out of the dark  “Princess George”  with an offer of a “local Mooring” so I followed him to his local mooring which is marked by a bottle on fishing line three feet below the surface.  After brief negotiations we came to yet another 30 US for his in the dark service, all the while I was wondering how you can drive a boat find and underwater mooring all while smoking a big fatty but somehow he did.  That should be the end of it but no, when I dropped the mooring and headed out another boat approached me going fast it was “Ja Dah” demanding I pay for the mooring I just left, needless to say we exchanged words, I told him Peanut had screwed me and I given “Princess George” 30 US the night before and I was not paying him freaking  anything.  Things got heated and I said lets call SMMA and the police and let them sort it out and maybe I could get my money back from Peanut. Ja Dah made a call on his cell and then took off with nothing said but sorry mon.  Glad to see Soufriere in my wake this morning.  Seas were flat and I motored up the coast 16 miles to Rodney bay were I am now anchored in 24ft with the Sandals Resort right off the bow.  Honeymooners are sailing little hobbie cats right by and waving, much safer than that last night.  I slept with my flare gun 12 gauge pistol ready and loaded.  In hind sight I should have stayed with it a bit longer last night and anchored in Anse La Raye where you can go even in the dark, it was only 4 miles more.  My standard answer to all the boat people selling crap is I am the delivery skipper all I got is a back pack and no family I don’t need anything thank you. The other thing I tell all boat boys when asked if I’m alone, I say no my mate is seasick down below and make a show of hollering down for him to hand me money which I keep stashed inside the companionway.  Taking off for Martinique in the early AM but if sailing is good and I’m making good speed will maybe go all the way 91 miles to Dominica…..

No comments:

Post a Comment